There’s just no beating homemade waffles. Once you’ve made these waffles from scratch, you won’t ever buy shop-bought again. Just the right amount of cocoa powder, some well whipped eggs and there you have it – the lightest, fluffiest Belgian waffles with the most satisfyingly crisp edges.
225g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
1 tbsp baking powder
50g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
125ml vegetable oil
3 egg whites
200g dark chocolate, melted, to serve
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a mixing bowl, stir in the sugar and a pinch of salt
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks in with the milk, oil and 125ml water.
- Switch to the flour bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the egg yolk mix, whisking all the time until you have a smooth batter
- Whisk the egg whites with an electric hand mixer until they form soft peaks
- Use a spoon to stir in a third of the whisked egg which into the batter, then gently fold in the rest
- Get your VonShef Belgian Waffle Maker and spoon in big spoonfuls of the batter. Close the lid (no need to secure the clasp) and cook for 1 – 2 minutes until ready to dig in
- Top with your favourite toppings – we love blueberries, mint and almonds