Chicken and waffles, food for the soul, made at home. This cheap, delicious and surprisingly healthy recipe will utilise the VonShef Air-Fryer and Dual Belgian Waffle Maker to make a fantastic addition to your brunch menu.
For the Waffles:
The Air-fried chicken is the show-stopper in this recipe, but the lynchpin of the dish is the base of crisp and delicious waffles. Grab your VonShef Dual Belgian Waffle Maker and off we go…
- 250g plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tbsp caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 475ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 30ml vegetable oil
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Leave to one side
- In a separate bowl beat the milk and eggs; once combined, add to the bowl full of flour
- Add the oil to the bowl and mix everything together until all the big lumps have broken up
- Get your VonShef Double Waffle Maker nice and hot, coat the waffle plates in a little butter or oil and pour in the batter
- Cook for a few minutes until golden brown and crispy on the outside.
For the Chicken:
The real hero of this recipe is the air-fried chicken. Not only supremely tasty, using the VonShef air-fryer also means that you’ll use up to 80% less fat when cooking for a healthier alternative to the normal deep-fried version.
- 7 tbsp plain white flour
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 2 chicken breasts (wing bone attached), skin on, cut in two diagonally
- 2 chicken legs, skin on
- 2 chicken thighs, skin on
- Pat chicken dry to remove excess moisture
- For the coating, tip the flour, dried herbs, cayenne pepper, white pepper and a pinch of salt into a large, strong polythene bag. Shake until well combined.
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs and set aside.
- Dip a chicken piece into the egg mixture until completely coated, then place it into the polythene bag containing the flour and herb mixture. Twist the bag closed, trapping in air so that it resembles a balloon, and shake vigorously until the chicken piece is completely coated. Remove the chicken piece from the bag and set aside on a plate. Repeat the process with the remaining chicken pieces.
- Place chicken on the air fryer rack.
- Air fry at 200°C for 12 minutes then eat up!
- Arrange your crisp and delicious waffles in a stack, placing a couple of pieces of your air-fried chicken to sit on top.
- Lots of people tend to have maple syrup as their accompaniment to this dish, but why not give the dish an extra kick? Whisking 2 teaspoons of Sriracha sauce with 100ml of maple syrup and a tablespoon of melted butter in a small bowl will give you a wonderful sweet, spicy sauce to set off your new favourite dish!