A luxurious breakfast in bed is the perfect way to treat your better-half this year. Whether it’s passionate pancakes or a flirtatious fry-up, we’ve got the most romantic breakfast in bed recipes that’ll be sure to keep you in your partner’s goof-books for the rest of the year.
Some things just need shouting about and these Nutella Pancakes are one of them. Not just a drizzle or a dollop on top but stirred into the batter and fried until deliciously chocolate brown. Nutella and breakfast in bed are two phrases that definitely belong together.
Smothered in even more Nutella, roughly chopped cashew nuts and tart raspberries – this delectable dessert is pure Nutella heaven.
- 140g plain flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 240ml milk
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Nutella, plus lots more for topping
- Handful of chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and add the milk, melted butter, vanilla and Nutella.
- Fold the dry ingredients to the egg mixture until most of the lumps are gone (a few lumps are good).
- Warm up your VonShef Crepe Maker or heat a pan over a medium heat. Add some butter or oil onto the hot surface.
- When hot enough, pour a palm-sized amount of the batter onto the hot surface. Cook for a few minutes until bubbles appear on the uncooked side of the pancake, sprinkle a few chocolate chips over the top so they sink into the batter. Flip the pancake over and cook the other side for a few minutes until cooked through. Place the pancake to one side – or in a warm oven until you’ve finished making your batch.
- Repeat until all the batter is gone.
- Stack the pancakes on your plate, dollop on as much Nutella as you like, add chopped cashews, more chocolate chips and finish with a handful of raspberries.
Banana Mocha Smoothie Bowl
Treat your other half to a perfect start to the day with this thick and creamy smoothie bowl. Packed full of nutrients, good fats, protein – and a few slivers of chocolate, this is a deliciously indulgent breakfast.
For the smoothie
- 1 large frozen banana, chopped
- 120ml almond milk
- Handful spinach
- A few ice cubes
- 1 scoop protein powder
For the toppings
- Handful sesame seeds
- Dark chocolate, grated
- 1 chopped banana
- Handful hazelnuts
- Handful of shredded coconut
- Add all of the smoothie ingredients to your blender or smoothie maker and blend until thick, smooth and creamy.
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl and add your favourite toppings.
Belgian Chocolate Waffles
- 225g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 250ml milk
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 200g dark chocolate, melted, to serve
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a mixing bowl, stir in the sugar and a pinch of salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks in with the milk, oil and 125ml water.
- Switch to the flour bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the egg yolk mix, whisking all the time until you have a smooth batter.
- Whisk the egg whites with an electric hand mixer until they form soft peaks.
- Use a spoon to stir in a third of the whisked egg which into the batter, then gently fold in the rest.
- Get your VonShef Belgian Waffle Maker and spoon in big spoonfuls of the batter. Close the lid (no need to secure the clasp) and cook for 1 – 2 minutes until ready to dig in.
- Top with your favourite toppings – we love blueberries, mint and almonds.