Unleash sweet and spicy flavours with this simple but spectacular recipe – ideal for midweek or lazy-weekend lunches, a tasty starter at a dinner party or a quick and delicious evening meal with an artisan loaf.
2 small onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped
300ml vegetable or chicken stock
1 can of coconut milk
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp curry powder (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a large, high sided pan over a medium heat
- Add the onions and celery and cook until soft. Add the carrots and squash and cook for a further 2 - 3 minutes
- Add the paprika, cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper and curry powder if you want it extra spicy. Stir to coat everything in the spices, allow the spices to lightly toast for 2 - 3 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse
- Add the coconut milk, vegetable/chicken stock and bring the mixture to a low boil before reducing the heat to low and simmering with a lid on for 15 - 20 minutes or until the carrots and squash are tender
- Then, it’s easy peasy… grab your hand blender and whizz until it’s smooth. Eat hot straight for the pot or freeze individual portions for a delicious, cheap and easy lunch!