Banana Ice Cream...yep! You will not believe you can make the creamiest, richest ice cream from bananas. But you can. All you need is some frozen bananas and a blender. Seriously.
We were dubious at first but you must try this healthy, ‘faux’ ice cream – there’s no added dairy, sugar or sweeteners and yet it’s still so creamy. Suitable for vegans, vegetarians, gluten, paleo and sugar-free followers and everyone in between – we think it’s time you tucked in.
A bunch of bananas – the riper the better!
- Peel your bananas and roughly chop – you’ll need approx. one banana per bowl of ice cream
- Freeze for at least two hours, or overnight if you can
- Get out your blender or food processor and add the bananas
- Blend… and keep blending! At first the bananas will look crumbly but keep going. Next they’ll look gooey but keep going. Finally, they’ll look a bit like porridge but keep going! All of a sudden the bananas will start to smooth into a creamy, ice-cream texture which is exactly what you’re after
- Feeling adventurous? Add your fruit, chocolate or flavourings now and blend for a few seconds (or longer depending on what topping you’ve chosen)
- Now either scoop out and freeze for a little longer or serve up and enjoy