If you’re a keen baker or novice cake maker, we’ve got some little-known 10 Best Baking Hacks, tips and tricks to help you make the most of your bakes.
- Want whipped cream but don’t fancy making a mess with your hand mixer? Pour cream into a mason jar and shake until you get the whipped consistency you want.
- No icing, no problem. Add marshmallows to the top of cakes for the last five minutes of baking = instant icing.
- Cutting back on sugar? Use unsweetened applesauce as a healthier (but just as delicious) alternative.
- If you’re working with sticky ingredients like fudge or toffee, wet your hands beforehand to keep them from sticking to you.
- Want amazing cake designs? Use lace. Whip out a doily and sprinkle powdered sugar on top for the most intricate – yet easy-to-do designs.
- Cracked an egg and bits of the shell have ended up in the bowl? Use half of the broken egg shell to scoop it out – works a charm.
- Keep cookies and cakes moist by storing them with an apple wedge or orange peel.
- Keep brown sugar soft by storing it with a slice of bread – weird but it works.
- Is your electric whisk always making a mess? Cut holes in a paper plate and poke the beaters through before securing as normal. The paper plate will cover the top of your mixing bowl and catch all the splashes.
- Soften butter in seconds without melting it by putting it under a warm glass.
Put coarse sea salt on top of your chocolate chip cookies – you won’t regret it.