When only a hearty meal will do, try this good old fashioned, slow cooker sausage, mushroom & red onion casserole from Cornish baker and blogger Beth at Jam & Clotted Cream. Traditional British fare at its best.
12 pork sausages
250g mushrooms, sliced
3 red onions, sliced
1 tbsp light brown sugar
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp tomato puree
500ml beef stock
2 bay leaves
- Switch your slow cooker onto low
- In a frying pan brown sausages and put in slow cooker, along with the uncooked sliced mushrooms
- In the same frying pan as you browned sausages, cook the sliced onions for 5 minutes, then add the sugar and cook for a further 5 mins. Add the flour and tomato puree and give it a quick stir then slowly add the beef stock
- Bring it to the boil then pour the sauce over sausages
- Cook for 8 hours on low and serve with creamy mash
For more great recipes, follow Beth on Facebook and Twitter.